SMC Full Circle Doula Training
Become an Expert in Pregnancy, Labor and Postpartum Doula Care
The Full Circle Doula Training® is an intensive 30-hour (3.5 days) prenatal, labor and postpartum doula training course. Topics include and expand beyond:
- The history and duties of labor and postpartum doulas
- The legacy of the African American midwife
- The midwifery model of care
- Signs and symptoms of pregnancy
- Labor and birth
- Birth justice
- Perinatal comfort measures
- Reproductive anatomy
- Medical terminology
- The role of the father
- Physiology of labor and birth
- Cultural awareness
- Breastfeeding support
- Infant care
- Postpartum rituals
- Bonding and family integration
- The spirituality of birth
- Intuition and “Mother wit”
- Infant mortality reduction
- Entrepreneurial skills.
This high-energy doula training is didactic, interactive, woman-centered and teaches comprehensive doula care. Graduates of the training are certified with Shafia Monroe Consulting/Birthing CHANGE. With program completion, the graduate is certified to practice as a labor and a postpartum doula, and though graduates may choose to specialize as labor doulas or postpartum doulas, their knowledge base is holistic and “Full Circle.”
The SMC Full Circle Doula Training will provide you with tools, skills, confidence and know how to begin your journey to lovingly assisting pregnant women through pregnancy, labor, birth and into motherhood employing emotional and physical support with local and national resources.
SMC Full Circle Doula Training
Join Shafia M. Monroe, founder of the International Center for Traditional Childbearing (ICTC), and the creator of the SMC Full Circle Doula/Birth Companion Training for an amazing training to become a SMC Full Circle Doula Trainer. Shafia M. Monroe is a veteran midwife, certified doula trainer, and Masters of Public Health. She is a mother, grandmother, herbalist, motivational speaker, and mentor.
This distinctive training is built on the legacy of the 20th Century African American Midwife, who provided holistic services, with birth and postpartum rituals and mothering skills (Wilkie, 2003), building confidence and leadership abilities within families. The training is an excellent preparation for individuals who plan to become midwives.
Why Train With Shafia Monroe Consulting
Shafia M. Monroe is captivating, funny, respectful and honors the experiences of each person who attends the training. She is a veteran midwife, certified doula trainer and Master of Public Health. She recognizes her Alabama roots and incorporates the southern style of healing, using the laying on of hands, herbs and prayer. Her forward-thinking training style encompasses cultural awareness, sisterhood, love and diversity.
Shafia helps each student find their inner strength and identify their calling in birthwork work.
A champion forerunner of birth justice and reproductive justice work, doula and midwifery education, public health, professional development, and infant and maternal mortality prevention, Shafia Monroe guarantees an unparalleled training experience.
Shafia has instructed hundreds of trainings across the globe with thousands trained as SMC Full Circle Doulas. Some of her students include: Amparo Vesga, Claudia Booker, Basmah Karriem, Nicole Deggins, Monica Raye Simpson, Roberta Eaglehorse Ortiz, Shantae Johnson, Sheryl Paul, Meies Matz, Chanel L. Porchia- Albert, Sandra Hernández La Cantadora, Muneera Fontaine, Samira Alex, Freya Morani, Nadiyah Seraaj, Samsarah Morgan, Skylar Johnson, Tierra Solomon, Lauren Anita, Stephanie Johnson, Maat Felicia, Sarah Husain, and Solomon Ibe; and Erykah Badu, four times GRAMMY™ Award winner, singer/songwriter and holistic healer.
SMC Full Circle Doula Training Overview
- February 21-24, 2019 in Portland, OR | Trainer: Shafia Monroe
- March 14-17, 2019 in Houston, TX | Trainer: Shafia Monroe
- March 21-24, 2019 in Oakland, CA | Trainer: Samsarah Morgan
- April 25-28, 2019 in Indianapolis, IN | Trainer: Shafia Monroe
- April 25-28, 2019 in Richmond, VA | Trainer: Basmah Karriem
- June 5-9, 2019 in Birmingham, AL | Trainer: Shafia Monroe
- June 20-23, 2019 in Oakland, CA | Trainer: Samsarah Morgan
- July 11-14, 2019 in Portland, OR | Trainer: Shafia Monroe
- July 25-28, 2019 in Richmond, VA |Trainer: Basmah Karriem
- Oct 24-27, 2019 in Richmond, VA | Trainer: Basmah Karriem (CANCELLED)
- November 7-10, 2019 in Boston, MA | Trainer: Shafia Monroe
- December 5-8, 2019 in Oakland, CA | Trainer: Samsarah Morgan
- December 5-8, 2019 in Tampa, FL | Trainer: Shafia Monroe
Friday: 8:30 a.m. — 5:30 p.m. Prenatal
Saturday: 8:30 a.m. — 5:30 p.m. Labor
Sunday: 8:30 a.m. — 5:30 p.m. Postpartum & Business
Enjoy a one hour lunch break daily at a local restaurant or on-site. Several breaks are integrated into the training.
Required Reading List:
1) SMC Full Circle Doula Philosophy, an abstract by Shafia M. Monroe Download PDF — 10-pages
2) The Doula Guide to Birth, by Ananda Lowe and Rachel Zimmerman
3) Listen to Me Good, Life Story of an Alabama Midwife, by Margaret Charles Smith and Linda Janet Holmes
Click here for the SMC Full-Circle Doula Birth Companion Booklist.
The booklist supports the SMC FCDBC philosophy that is built on the legacy of the 20th Century African American Midwife.
Use the SMC booklist for your required book reports. This booklist is updated once each year.
The books are available at the library and online at https://smile.amazon.com/.
- Training manual
- Hands on, interactive training
- Resource List
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have or be working towards completing a high school diploma or GED
- Be interested in supporting women and families
- SMC Full Circle Doula Training Certification Requirements, 1-page PDF
If the registrant (trainee) cancels within 24 hours from the time of registration, a refund will be given, less administrative fee of $50.00.
If the registrant (trainee) cancels at least two weeks prior to the training start date, the registrant (trainee) has the option of transferring to another training of equal or lesser value within the program within 12 months of the original training date.
Photo and Media Release
I understand that I may be consulted about the use of the photographs or video recording for any purpose other than those listed above; that there is no time limit on the validity of this release nor is there any geographic limitation on where these materials may be distributed. I understand this release applies to photographic, audio and/or video recordings collected as part of the sessions listed on this document only and by signing this form, I acknowledge that I have completely read and fully understand the aforementioned and agree to be bound thereby.
I understand that photographic, audio and/or video recordings may be used for the following purposes: conference presentations, educational presentations or courses, informational presentations, on-line educational courses, educational videos and marketing.
I understand that I will be consulted about the use of the photographs or video recording for any purpose other than those listed above and that there is no time limit on the validity of this release nor is there any geographic limitation on where these materials may be distributed. I understand that this release applies to photographic, audio or video recordings collected as part of the sessions listed on this document only.