SMC Full Circle Doula Training
Become an Expert in Pregnancy, Labor, Birth, and Postpartum Doula Care
The SMC Full Circle Doula Training® is a rigorous four-day curriculum of perinatal education and public health information. Topics include and expand beyond:
- The history and duties of labor and postpartum doulas
- The legacy of the African American midwife
- The midwifery model of care
- Signs and symptoms of pregnancy
- Labor and birth
- Birth justice
- Perinatal comfort measures
- Reproductive anatomy
- Medical terminology
- The role of the father
- Physiology of labor and birth
- Cultural awareness
- Breastfeeding support
- Infant care
- Postpartum rituals
- Bonding and family integration
- The spirituality of birth
- Intuition and “Mother wit”
- Infant mortality reduction
- Entrepreneurial skills
This high-energy doula training is didactic, interactive, woman-centered, and teaches comprehensive doula care. Graduates of the training are certified with Shafia Monroe Consulting/Birthing CHANGE. With program completion, the graduate is certified to practice as a labor and a postpartum doula, and though graduates may choose to specialize as labor doulas or postpartum doulas, their knowledge base is holistic and “Full Circle.”
The SMC Full Circle Doula Training will provide you with tools, skills, confidence, and know-how to begin your journey to lovingly assisting pregnant women through pregnancy, labor, birth, and into motherhood, employing emotional and physical support with local and national resources.
SMC Full Circle Doula Trainers
Meet the Trainers
Shafia Monroe loves teaching and has been an SMC trainer since 2002. She recognizes her Alabama roots and incorporates the southern style of healing, using the laying on of hands, herbs, and prayer. Her forward-thinking training style encompasses cultural awareness, sisterhood, humor, and leadership. Learn more about Shafia.
Samsarah Morgan has been training birth workers for over 20 years. She became a SMC Full Circle Doula Birth Companion Trainer for Shafia Monroe Consulting/Birthing Change in 2016. You can learn more about Samsarah at the Oakland Better Birth Foundation website.
SMC trainers teach the legacy of the 20th Century African American Midwife, who provided holistic services, with birth and postpartum rituals and mothering skills (Wilkie, 2003), building confidence and leadership abilities within families. The training is excellent preparation for individuals who plan to become midwives.
Why Train With Shafia Monroe Consulting
In 2002, SMC Full Circle Doula Birth Companion Training was created as the premier training for dual certification as a labor and postpartum doula, with certification through Shafia Monroe Consulting (SMC). The training is built on the legacy of the 20th Century African American midwife, who nurtured and empowered the pregnant woman to birth her way and practiced rituals for healthy postpartum recovery and infant health. SMC helps each student find their inner strength and identify their calling in birth work for successful doula work.
SMC Full Circle Doula Birth Companions graduate as pillars of their communities, practitioners of birth and postpartum traditions, experts in physiological birth, and entrepreneurs.
On-Going Support: Graduates are added to the private Facebook group for continued support in becoming certified, networking opportunities, and professional development.
This training was everything you could dream of. It was so down to earth and really allowed us to have discussions to aid understanding. The hands on aspect made me confident that I was ready to start the next day. It was awesome. Thank you.
A champion forerunner of birth justice and reproductive justice work, doula education, midwife advocacy, public health, professional development, and infant and maternal mortality prevention, SMC guarantees an unparalleled training experience.
SMC has instructed hundreds of trainings across the globe with thousands trained as SMC Full Circle Doulas. Some of our students include Amparo Vesga, Claudia Booker, Basmah Karriem, Nicole Deggins, Monica Raye Simpson, Roberta Eaglehorse Ortiz, Shantae Johnson, Sheryl Paul, Meies Matz, Chanel L. Porchia- Albert, Sandra Hernández La Cantadora, Muneera Fontaine, Samira Alex, Freya Morani, Nadiyah Seraaj, Samsarah Morgan, Skylar Johnson, Tierra Solomon, Lauren Anita, Stephanie Johnson, Maat Felicia, Sarah Husain, and Solomon Ibe, and Erykah Badu, four-time GRAMMY™ Award winner, singer/songwriter, and holistic healer.
SMC Full Circle Doula Birth Companion Training Online Schedule
- February 1st – February 28th, 2021
- April 5th – May 2nd, 2021
- June 7th – July 4th, 2021
- August 2nd – August 29th, 2021
- October 4th – October 31st, 2021
(Online training will remain, until is it safe to resume in-person training.)
Online Training Overview
- Orientation to the SMC Full Circle Doula Philosophy, Black Midwives Prayer, Certification, Legacy of the Black Midwife, Requirements, Doula History, Racism and Health.
- Everything Pregnancy, Reducing Infant Mortality, Midwifery Model of Care, Anatomy, Nutrition/Herbs, Solutions to Common Discomforts, Prenatal Care
- Physiology of Labor, Signs Labor, Stages of Labor Management, Black Birth Traditions, Home, Hospital, Birth Center, Unassisted.
- Postpartum Doula Care, Postpartum Foods, Newborn Care, Breastfeeding, Business Development, Self-Care.
- Final Quiz, Print Certificate, Hard Copy Mailed.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. — 5:30 p.m. Prenatal
Saturday: 8:30 a.m. — 5:30 p.m. Labor
Sunday: 8:30 a.m. — 5:30 p.m. Postpartum & Business
Enjoy a one hour lunch break daily at a local restaurant or on-site. Several breaks are integrated into the training.
Required Reading List:
1) SMC Full Circle Doula Philosophy, an abstract by Shafia M. Monroe Download PDF — 10-pages
2) The Doula Guide to Birth, by Ananda Lowe and Rachel Zimmerman
3) Listen to Me Good, Life Story of an Alabama Midwife, by Margaret Charles Smith and Linda Janet Holmes
Click here for the SMC Full Circle Doula Birth Companion Booklist.
The booklist supports the SMC FCDBC philosophy that is built on the legacy of the 20th century African American midwife.
Use the SMC booklist for your required book reports. This booklist is updated once each year.
The books are available at the library and online at https://smile.amazon.com/.
- Training manual
- Weekly Zoom Class with Instructors
- Resource List
- Added to the SMC Full Circle Doula Birth Companions Private Facebook Group, for ongoing support towards certification.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have or be working towards completing a high school diploma or GED
- Be interested in supporting women and families
- SMC Full Circle Doula Training Certification Requirements, 1-page PDF
If the registrant (trainee) cancels within 24 hours from the time of registration, a refund will be given, less administrative fee of $50.00.
If the registrant (trainee) cancels at least two weeks prior to the training start date, the registrant (trainee) has the option of transferring to another training of equal or lesser value within the program within 12 months of the original training date.
Photo and Media Release
I understand that I may be consulted about the use of the photographs or video recording for any purpose other than those listed above; that there is no time limit on the validity of this release nor is there any geographic limitation on where these materials may be distributed. I understand this release applies to photographic, audio, and/or video recordings collected as part of the sessions listed on this document only, and by signing this form, I acknowledge that I have completely read and fully understand the aforementioned and agree to be bound thereby.
I understand that photographic, audio, and/or video recordings may be used for the following purposes: conference presentations, educational presentations or courses, informational presentations, online educational courses, educational videos, and marketing.
I understand that I will be consulted about the use of the photographs or video recording for any purpose other than those listed above and that there is no time limit on the validity of this release nor is there any geographic limitation on where these materials may be distributed. I understand that this release applies to photographic, audio, or video recordings collected as part of the sessions listed on this document only.